FARM INTERNSHIP – GUELPH
Ignatius Jesuit Centre
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) is a not for profit charity situated on 640 acres of woodlands, wetlands and farmland just north of Guelph Ontario. IJC welcomes all and is home to Loyola Retreat House & Ignatian Training, Ignatius Farm, the Ignatius Old-Growth Forest, St Brigid’s Villa and Orchard Park Office Centre. The Ignatius land includes deciduous and mixed forest, meadows, urban fringe, naturalized and ornamental landscapes, including Class 3 provincially significant wetlands and a restored cold water stream. We are fully committed to the environmental care of this land.
Close to Public Transit:
Full Season Contract: April 19 to November 19, 2021 Summer Contract: April 19 to August 27, 2021
We are looking for passionate & imaginative individuals to join us in the care of our organic farm. As part of the Ignatius farm team you will join our vision in regenerative local food systems, eco-spirituality, community agriculture, and farm ecosystem education. Ignatius Farm grows certified organic produce for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers' markets, local businesses and service agencies. Programs include community gardens, community orchard, acreage rentals, internships and farmer training, working shares, volunteer opportunities and seasonal community events.
- The Ignatius Farm Internship combines weekly education curriculum with hands-on field work to develop skills and knowledge as a farm worker, and is the basis of your work in ecological agriculture or food system advocacy.
- EDUCATION PROGRAM
- Two-week preseason intensive and three‐week post‐season intensive and workshops
- Weekly webinars, virtual ﬁeld days including one monthly in person ﬁeld trip
- The curriculum is collaboratively offered with EFAO and Everdale
- FARMING ACTIVITIES
- Grow, harvest and process vegetables & berries in ﬁeld and greenhouses
- Provide quality organic produce for CSA, farmers market, Loyola House & local businesses
- Participate fully in trainings and support training others
- Log field activities and contribute to system improvements
- Use tools safely and support maintenance of tools, equipment, & structures
- Background knowledge and/or interest in gardening, greenhouse production, soils, ecology, local food systems, farm ecosystems, and use of basic tools
- Commitment to ecological farming practices, Health & Safety mindfulness, working outside in all weather, operating as a cohesive team, open communications, and building community
- Assets: Valid G class drivers licence, First Aid/CPR
- Ignatius Farm interns must be legally permitted to work in Canada
How to Apply:
Deadline: March 1, 2021 Submit resume and letter of interest with application details to email@example.com HOW TO APPLY Submit your resume and a letter of interest, which must include: 1. Confirming you have read the online 2021 Ignatius Farm Internship package 2. Email and phone number for daytime contact 3. Which internship you are applying for: Full Season or Summer 4. Planned commitments during the contract timeline, with dates 5. Intention to live in the accommodations onsite 6. Farming and gardening experience 7. Why you seek an organic farm internship with Ignatius Farm 8. What you would like to learn during the internship 9. The skills and qualities you can bring to the farm 10. Preference for solo or team-based work